These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.

Fish Tycoon Forum

Walkthrough
PC Download Apple App Store Google Play Store

I've rolled back the comments that ...

I've rolled back the comments that were defaced earlier. Thanks Unknown Reader for your great contributions to the board! Do you think we should move to a registration policy? [other boards got defaced as well]

By unknown_reader
09/11/2006
Well, that may help. Since this game is up and coming, it may be a good idea. But generally, having the edit button fully available to all is not really a good idea. With a registered forum, the forum could be set up so that the person making the post, and admin, can edit posts only. As it is set up now, anyone that skims the site could deface it just like the person yesterday did.

On one hand, I am glad that I caught the defacement fairly quickly. It appeared to happening as I was on the site. On the other, I really had no solid proof that it was being done. So, I am glad once again that the history could be watched, and reverted.

I actually am a moderator / staff on another game forum, so I try to help out where I can. Probably the only reason I stuck around here is that there was the extremely excellent spreadsheets and breeding guide at the top. I was highly impressed with that, so decided to stick around.

With the defacement that was going on (after I erased the first defacement, others cropped up shortly there after, focusing on my posts), I was highly tempted to simply use the breeding guide on the site, and leave the comments and help to others. If it was possible to remove the edit feature, but keep the reply feature, that would probably fix the problem of the posts being changed (leave the ability open to the Admin, of course).

Since the game is relatively new, a registered forum would probably get the support it would need, but would be a lot more work for the staff. There would be a building fanbase, both with the game and the site. I think that there would be sufficient interest to maintain a high level of interest and activity. Plus, if the forum was made the "Official" forum (like the other forum that I am staff on), it would bring even more interest and people to the forum. But once again, this would mean a lot more work for the staff, and the adimistration. If you were willing to go for it, then I would be willing to help (if you wanted it).

With a registered forum, PM's could be passed in private, and E-mails available. As it stands now, there is no private means of passing on information, so any information passed has to be assumed to be viewable to everyone on the face of the planet.

So, I guess it all depends on what the staff would like to do, and what kind of work put into it. There really is a lot of work involved in a registered forum. It would help, but the question would be if it would be worth it to the Administration. The removal of the Edit button for the general public would more than likely fix the defacement problems. From there, the Admin would simply have to watch the posts, to remove objectionable content.

I appologize if I made a simple question into a huge response. I just wanted to make sure that all plusses and minusses that I could think of were covered. And hopefully I have not made a riot on the forum! (someone nudge the guy over there, he fell asleep half way through my post! I am done now, he can wake up again :P)

By unknown_reader
09/21/2006
I must say, the new board makes things a whole lot organized! Thanks for the straightening out, ADMIN!
These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.