These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.

Fish Tycoon Forum

Walkthrough
PC Download Apple App Store Google Play Store

I started out i had no clue what to...

I started out i had no clue what to do i listed a fish for 4408537 and it sold like that!!! *Snaps fingers*

By mrosewall
09/06/2006
it isnt working for me and i cant even sell a fish for $15 its a orange beta and how do yuo get a fanned cat fish?

By unknown_reader
09/12/2006
Maybe I will take some time and explain the purchasing logic (as I think it is) of customers in the game. Here are my thoughts on it:

First, there seems to be a really random roll. Every time a customer is deciding to buy a fish, there is a random number picked. For easier explaination, let's say that number is 3000 (more than likely it is significantly higher, likely around 1 million). The customer pauses, and makes the roll. Say the roll is 500. The customer is willing to pay the starting price for the fish. If the fish is for sale for more than the starting price (you raised the suggested price a little, to try an coax more money out), it would not sell. Next, they roll a 1000. Now, they would be willing to pay twice the starting price. Your price is less than twice the amount, so they buy the fish. Money made. But now let's say that you had a huge amount of money for a fish. Even if they rolled a 3000, and would pay six times the amount of the fish, the amount is a lot higher than that, right? Well now, I revert to the old Dungeons and Dragons rule of thumb: Roll a 1, and it is a guarenteed failure to sell. Roll a 20 (in this case, a 3000), and it is a guarenteed success. So, you just sold your hugely priced fish, much to your astonishment.

Now comes the other aspects of buying. First, how often the customer tries to buy. It seems that the customer will stop walking around about every six seconds. When I have had only one customer in the store at a time, the only time I have gotten sales is when they have paused. In the full version, they are paused when their thought bubble pops up, then they walk. A positive thought bubble, like a heart or a fish bag, is a sale, and this is followed by them walking again. So, every three seconds (roughly), you have a chance of a customer buying a fish.

Now, to the numbers. The more customers you have in the store, the more rolls that are going on. If you have 60 customers in your store, and each customer is rolling every three seconds, you have about 10rolls per second going on, so your chances of getting a perfect roll within a minute is very high. If you have one customer, your chances are very slim. So, when you have more customers in your store, your chances of selling fish for huge amounts of money is significantly more.

If the above assumptions were all correct, with all your fish having super marked up prices, you would still sell a fish every 5 minutes (with 60 customers in your store), I think that the number required to be rolled would be a lot higher. I do not know for sure, as I have not tested the theory as of yet. But, due to the success of so many people posting on this site about doing just this, I think the number would be fairly close to the 1 in 3000 chance, but still logic tells me it should be higher.

So, to point to the question of not being able to sell an Orange Beta for $15 (which is fairly close to the starting price), I have to wonder how many customers you have in your store at one time, and how long you give the fish to sell. The more customers, the better chance of higher sales.

To add more customers, add decoration. Also, the more fish you have in your sell tank, the more customers come. I think also your other tanks affect how many customers come in, but to a lesser degree than your sell tank.

On the web version, with all the upgrades, I can get 40 customers in the store with a full fish inventory. On the full version, it is hard to tell, as there really is no count that you can see. But even with 40 customers in your store, the number of higher valued purchases goes up dramatically from the number that even 8 customers could reach.
These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.