These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.

Community Blog Forum

Walkthrough Request

I've always liked history, though m...

I've always liked history, though my brain is wired to be a bit more analytical. That's why I always jump at games that are at least inspired by actual human history. Hence, Cradle of Egypt Collector's Edition (nice segue, Jasper!). The fourth in game developer Awem's popular "Cradle" series of puzzle games, Cradle of Egypt takes the dependable "swap tiles to match 3 in a row" formula and adds an interesting element of civilization building based on the imagery of ancient Egypt.

The visuals of Cradle of Egypt are crisp and bright. Backdrops of farms, river valleys, or the inside of huts are easy on the eyes, and puzzle tiles are based on items important to the development of Egypt, like papyrus, tomatoes, and casks of honey. Similarly crisp are the sound effects, which provide pleasant slot machine-like tinklings as you score tile matches.

As you progress in levels, tiles become more numerous and map designs become more complex (and thus the levels become harder). But the true original twist of the "Cradle" series is that each tile match gives you resources (such as gold or food) that you can use to build a town. Players can purchase iconic building structures with their resources to continue enriching their Egyptian civilization. Numerous mini-games, several extras (such as downloadable soundtracks and a Developer's Diary), and several modes (including Tourney, Relaxed, and Time) all add up to a fairly deep game you can happily munch away at.

That's not to say all is amazing in the land of Egypt. Don't think the civilization building element lends a real-time strategy aspect to the game; the town is basically window dressing and just a cool goal to work toward. But for casual puzzle fans looking for a well-crafted new title with a nice sprinkling of history, Cradle of Egypt Collector's Edition delivers.

These are our legacy forums. Please go to the game walkthrough and scroll to the bottom for our new forums.